Published on:

Which Kind of New Hampshire Motorcycle License Do I Need?

New Hampshire requires motorcycle operators to have a motorcycle license or endorsement in order to ride in the state. The license or endorsement may be from New Hampshire or from another state. In order to get a New Hampshire motorcycle license or endorsement, a rider must pass both a written test and a driving test given by the Division of Motor Vehicles.

Like driver’s licenses for cars, motorcycle licenses differ depending on the kind of bike you plan to ride. Here is an overview of the types of motorcycle and motorcycle-related licenses or endorsements in New Hampshire and the types of vehicles they allow you to ride.

A motorcycle license or endorsement allows drivers to ride two-wheeled motorcycles, three-wheeled motorcycles, and mopeds. A driver’s license that states “motorcycle” allows the driver to operate both the types of vehicles covered by a driver’s license (regular cars and commercial vehicles) and motorcycles.

Three-Wheeled Motorcycle
A three-wheeled motorcycle license or endorsement allows the driver to ride three-wheeled motorcycles only. However, if the rider took his or her driving test on a two-wheeled motorcycle, he or she may ride either a two- or three-wheeled motorcycle.

Motor-Driven Cycle
A license or endorsement for a motor-driven cycle allows drivers to ride any motorcycle, moped, motor scooter, or motorized bicycle as long as the motor is five horsepower or less.


A moped-only license only allows the rider to ride a moped.

Choosing the right license helps bikers stay safe on the road by ensuring they have the skills they need to protect themselves in many dangerous situations. If you or someone you love has been injured in a motorcycle crash, the experienced New Hampshire motorcycle accident injury attorneys at Tenn And Tenn, P.A. can help. Call us today at (603) 624-3700, or call our Injury Helpline at 1-888-511-1010, for a free and confidential telephone consultation.