When you and your ex-spouse divorced years ago, you had to create a parenting plan to deal with the details of raising your children together but as separate people. The parenting plan detailed the rights and responsibilities of each parent and addressed things such as:
- Which parent had decision-making and residential responsibility;
- The legal address for the children attending school;
- A custody schedule that included holidays, weekends, birthdays, and vacations;
- A protocol for exchanging the children from one parent to the other;
- A procedure for reviewing and adjusting the plan; and
- A method for resolving future disputes.