Published on:

New Hampshire DWI Conviction Requirements: The SR-22 Insurance Certificate

New Hampshire law requires people convicted of driving while intoxicated (DWI) to meet certain conditions. One of them is to maintain a New Hampshire SR-22 Insurance Certificate.

According to the New Hampshire Department of Safety, An SR-22 Insurance Certificate proves that the person holding it has liability insurance in case of a car accident. If you are convicted of DWI, you must maintain your SR-22 for three years. For a second DWI conviction, the SR-22 must be maintained for five years.

When you receive your SR-22, examine it closely. You can get an SR-22 in either one of two forms: an “Owner” certificate or a “Non-Owner” certificate. Under New Hampshire law, an Owner certificate must state that your insurance covers “Any Vehicles Owned by the Insured.” It should not list the vehicles you own. A Non-Owner certificate should state that your insurance covers “Any Vehicles Driven by the Insured.”

Getting your SR-22 is a mandatory step in getting your license back after a DWI conviction. The New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles does not provide an SR-22; you can only get one through a licensed liability insurance company. Double-check to make sure the insurance company is licensed to provide liability insurance in New Hampshire. Only a licensed insurance company can provide an SR-22 that will allow you to reclaim your New Hampshire driver’s license.

If you have been charged with driving while intoxicated in New Hampshire, you need a New Hampshire DWI attorney who will look out for your rights. The experienced New Hampshire drunk driving lawyers at Tenn And Tenn, P.A. will examine the details of your case and fight for the best possible outcome. Call Tenn And Tenn, P.A. for a free consultation today at 1-888-511-1010.

Contact Information