Published on:

Carbon Monoxide Leak in Manchester Harms Seven

Unsafe appliances produce an extremely poisonous gas called carbon monoxide. This highly toxic substance is produced by the incomplete burning of gas and other petroleum products. It usually occurs when a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained. It may also transpire if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked. You can’t see it, taste it, or smell it, but the worst part is that it can cause serious long term health problems such as brain damage or death with little warning.

Its symptoms are similar to flu, food poisoning, viral infections and fatigue. Listed below are the seven main symptoms that indicate carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Red face
  • Breathlessness
  • Collapse
  • Loss of consciousness

These symptoms were felt by several residents who suffered exposure to carbon monoxide at Auburn Street. According to Manchester District Fire Chief Michael Gamache, on January 19th emergency crews were called to 243 Auburn St. at 6:40 p.m. after multiple residents began complaining of headaches on the second floor. Upon arrival, firefighters immediately examined the apartment and found elevated levels of carbon monoxide present.

Several ambulances were summoned to assist firefighters as they treated seven exposed patients. Ranging in age from 9 to 64 years of age, all seven were transported to Catholic Medical Center for treatment of exposure to carbon monoxide.

According to Gamache, there were no carbon monoxide detectors in the apartment building.

If you have been diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning that could have been prevented by the exercise of reasonable care by another person or company, finding a knowledgeable attorney to assist you with your condition is crucial. Review a potential lawsuit for yourself or family member; call Tenn And Tenn, P.A. for a free consultation.